One of my favorite outings from Las Vegas is a drive out to Deer Creek Road. It is so magical how you can quickly transform from the desert to mountains. And the drive only takes about 45 minutes from the Vegas Strip, depending on the traffic. The views here are gorgeous, and you just might run across some wild donkeys or horses, which are native to the area.
Things are blooming and growing at the Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge. I hiked through several different zones on the outside loop trail, and there was much to see and photograph along the way.
This is actually a trick – there is no trail map for this hike. However, I found a pretty good set of directions at this link.
- You Google the Lost Creek Country Club and map out the directions
- Find a spot to park on Bend of the River Drive just before it crosses Barton Creek
- Look for the start of the trail just under the bridge
- Hike a short distance to the big flat rock in the middle of the Creek
- Quickly look for a convenient spot to ford Barton Creek
- Pick up the dirt trail on the other side
- Follow this sandy, tree covered trail for about a mile until you run into the waterfalls on Lost Creek
Out in the woods of Pease Park for the 53rd Annual Celebration of Eeyore’s Birthday Party. Austin throws some pretty good parties. 🙂
Here are 15 photos from Eeyore’s Birthday today in Pease Park. There is no good way to describe this Austin tradition (for 52 years now), so the pictures should give you an idea of all the fun that happens.
- Stuffed Eeyore
- T-shirt Stand
- Yoga in the Park
- Hanging Out in the Trees
- Happy Birthday Banner
- White Donkey
- Tie-Dye Texas Flag
- Beer Tickets
- Top Notch Hamburger Costume
- Hedgehog Encounter
- The Wizard and his DJ Equipment
- The Wizard and his EDM Crew
- Sunset behind the Trees
- Egg Toss Winners