It is that time of year in Austin where the evenings start getting cooler and it makes it nice to get out and walk. This evening, I started at Ninth and Congress and headed for the loop around Town Lake. There were a few art installations and groovy flowers along the way. On my return to Congress Avenue, there was a flock of tourists anxiously awaiting the bats to begin flying out from under the bridge. And of course, the sunset colors on the city were most beautiful.
My destination was Cooper’s Bar-B-Que, but along the way, I stopped to admire the sights in Downtown Austin. The Contemporary has an interesting rooftop display of Art. There was construction going on. And I made it to Cooper’s just before the heavy rains came down.
Let this be a lesson to me – don’t be grumpy when you find yourself about a mile away from your car, with the umbrella in the trunk, and you are walking back in the rain. You never know when a magnificent rainbow will pop up out of nowhere to put an exclamation point on your awesome day in Austin. 🙂
The Texas Book Festival is the best time of the year to seek out migrating Monarchs. They typically look for a food source at the fountain on the State Capitol grounds. They are so much fun to photograph, because they don’t stay on one flower blossom for long, but flitter about on their own personal schedule.
Today’s event was the Texas Book Festival at the State Capitol. I attended a few of the book panels, but didn’t fall in love with any of the authors I saw. The sun was mostly hidden behind clouds, so in between events, I walked the grounds and took a few photos of the gray conditions.
How to have a fun night in Austin with a bit of an international theme:
- Park at the State Capitol at around sunset and take a leisurely stroll through the grounds.
- Walk to Sixth Street in the gorgeous weather we are now experiencing.
- Check out the art and activities of the Fan Fest for the Circuit of the Americas.
- Walk to the far end of Sixth Street and get an Orange Cream Italian Water-Ice at Jim Jim’s.
- Walk all over the downtown area to work up an appetite and admire some of the awesome cars in town.
- Have crepes for dinner on the outdoor patio at Cafe Crepe.
- Return to the Fan Fest to catch the Flying Balalaika Brothers play another fantastic show.
- Call it a night with tiny experiences of Texas, Italy, France, Russia, and the Ukraine to spur your dreams.